Sunday, March 21, 2010

Gospel Sunday March 21 : The Beginnings of Gospel

The beginnings of Gospel music were taught to me in Professor Eric Moye's class at SMU.The guest speaker was the Rev. Zan Holmes ,pastor of St.Luke United Methodist Church. I still remember the lesson ,the gospel songs were more that entreaties to the Almighty ,they were also messages to to the earthbound.

Often times when the enslaved African Americans sung spirituals it was their version of the internet.A way to communicate in oral form the news of who was sold, who escaped slavery,and the overall misery of their situation.


"Swing Low Sweet Charriot",has double meaning. The meaning to some especially the enslaved was that it was time to prepare a escape.To the enslavers it was the slaves were singing because they were happy.It was not about happiness,it was about communication. Today we wait for the Lord to take us home to be with him in Glory.



"The Troubles of the World" sometimes can get you down.
However God can and will always lift you up.


"I Don't Feel No Ways Tired ",I don't believe he brought me this far to leave me.



It is a blessing to see youth come to Christ,as they sing with a youthful joy.
The Mississippi Childrens Choir sings with that joy.

Amen lets go to church.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro. Ed!!!!!
Oh you got me this morning! Yes Suh! Bless you. I know I'll go back and listen to it over. Bless you brother, and thanks.

March 21, 2010 at 8:17 AM  
Anonymous Angela Sims said...

You almost had me shouting this morning! I missed church this morning and your gospel selection was very inspirational. Thanks Ed and keep up the good work!

March 21, 2010 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Amen!!!!! man oh man, a classic from one of my favorite growing up, I ♥ me some JC & "I Don't Feel Noways Tired". You went there with that Ed. Whew!!!! and my goodness, where was Amer Idol back in the day, do you know if this young man had a career in the music industry.. if not sure was a waste of talent... Awesome blog

March 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM  
Anonymous Rachel Stallworth said...

This song made me this about the movie "Imitation Life" also the much reminds me of the good old days growing up in Dallas. Thanks Ed, this is a much needed blog!

March 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM  
Anonymous Rachel Stallworth said...

This song made me think about the movie "Imitation Life" also this reminds me of the good old days growing up in Dallas. Thanks Ed, this is a much needed blog

March 22, 2010 at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home