Friday, December 12, 2008

Jim Mattox : Texas Tough 1943 - 2008


I was saddened to hear about the recent passing of former Texas Attorney General Jim Mattox .Jim passed away last month in Texas. I worked from Jim as young Congressional intern in the 1970's . As a matter of fact I made history as I was the youngest Congressional intern at the age of sixteen years old. That was a long time ago. I spent the summer of 1978 in the Capitol , at the Longworth House Office Building helping the citizens of the Fifth Congressional District .
Jim was a tough political operative , who made a lot of enemies by a no holds bar stand on everything . My reflections of Jim are not of a political nature , but of a politician who took interest in a young 16 year old and showed him the ropes of Beltway politics.It was a exciting summer , for a sixteen year old who every morning walked into the Longworth Building sipping his hot chocolate and the Wall Street Journal. Jim would say , "Eddie you got take the bull by the horns". With that directive I did.
That summer I met all the Congressman and Senators that served in the session .I met them all from the most junior Congressman to the Speaker of the House.I had the opportunity and pleasure to interview them for my project at the Dallas Law Magnet High School .This could not have been possible if not for the connections that I had by working for Congressman Mattox .
I came to Congress , working for the people of South Dallas with a desire to give back to the community .That desire has not been fulfilled ,because every day I think I can give just a little bit more . Jim came to Congress with that same cause , to give back to the community and fight back against injustices. In one of Jim Mattox 'last public speeches he spoke on the Texas Two Step Primary Caucus. When it came to fighting .Jim Mattox was Texas Tough.
Jim Rest in Peace , and Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home