Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hoop Dreams from Dallas


Back in the day I was a one of the best ballers in the world,okay maybe a neighborhood in Oak Cliff .We all have our hoop dreams and some of us escape the confines of school greatness,neighborhood greatness,and get into the NBA .Dallas has been blessed to have many basketballers from our area, from Micheal Williams a Carter High School standout and long time family friend ,to Spud Webb the legendary mighty mite from Wilmer Hutchins.This video is in tribute to all those who played the game from the back yard legends to the NBA All Stars.

I remember all the excitement at Dallas' first NBA All Star game,they played it at Reunion Arena.Our local favorite Spud Webb was introduced to the world.We already knew he was great when he was dunking at Wilmer Hutchins High School.
The world was just catching up to us...


Thats still to amazing,I got to look at from another angle and in Spudd's words.

Dennis Rodman was another NBA great was as bad as he wanted to be. Before "Worm" won championships in Detroit and Chicago ,he played ball in south Oak Cliff.He wasn't the best baller in his family,he had two sisters that were ferocious.If the WNBA was created then,they would have been stars.Dennis Rodman was as bad as he wanted to be.

From Skyline High School came Grandmama ,who could beat you down. I regret the day we didn'r sign him at SMU.

My video blog can not be complete without footage from a guy who challenged me to play basketball.I was in the 11th grade he was still in junior high.I didn't play him because I had high standards,I didn't want to get beat by him. Reputation is everything on the court.My good friend Micheal Williams.

Now its a new generation of stars coming to the league like Lincoln High School's Chris Bosh. Chris Bosh now its your time!

Whats your Hoop Dream ? I played mine and they lived theirs ,I am glad their dreams came true.Enjoy the NBA All Star Game !

4 Comments:

Anonymous Aaron said...

I didnt know Dennis Rodman went to south oak cliff !

February 10, 2010 at 6:39 PM  
Anonymous Karen Hayes said...

This brings back soooooo many great memories! I'll never forget SPUD!!!!!

February 10, 2010 at 7:06 PM  
Anonymous skeeweemom said...

There were quite a few folks from Dallas. You forgot to mention the Sasser boys who went to Kimball High School. Wonder if either one of them ever did anything great. Well living to tell the story of how they played is a great heap. And there are even more playing in the NFL from Dallas Carter and Kimball. Hope they keep the talent coming

February 10, 2010 at 7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was good !

February 12, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home