Monday, January 18, 2010

My Mother and Dr. King


My mother marched with Martin Luther King Jr. She was not a civil rights icon,but a 20 year old fed up with segregation .My family lived in Washington DC at the time and like many others in the city experienced segregation in the south.Mama was told by her job that if she didn't report to work that she would be fired.Young people when challenged will always take the challenge.

Dr.King was a 34 year old debating politics with established politicians and presidents.Neither in their own worlds back down from the challenge.I am glad they both accepted the challenge.Mama went to march that day,and managed to get four feet behind Dr.King.They marched,they sang,they prayed ,and they dreamed.

I am glad they both challenged the system. As we observe the MLK Birthday Celebration, we must not forget the countless others who assisted the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr..Through countless small acts of courage,and the major acts of courage from leaders like Dr.King and others the civil rights struggle was won.Thank you Mama and thank you Dr.King.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Debra said...

I Love 2 hear a Man say his Mother is a Hero in his life, that warms my heart, God Bless you both.

January 18, 2010 at 8:20 PM  
Anonymous Kelvinal said...

Brother Gray-That's a major blessing to have that in your lifetime.

January 18, 2010 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger Janelle said...

This is one of the things I thought of when I wrote my reflection of the inauguration. Thank God they had the audacity to dream. For that reason, I can accomplish mine.

January 18, 2010 at 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Iyen said...

We are blessed to have had couragious leaders that took a stand for civil rights.

January 18, 2010 at 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Karis Roberson said...

If we stand tall it is because we stand on the backs of those that came before us.Thanks for sharing this with us Mr Gray !

January 24, 2010 at 8:45 AM  
Blogger EdGray4America.com said...

Thank you all for your responses.Out of the many blogs made,this one has a deeper meaning to me than most.

January 25, 2010 at 5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home