Monday, August 31, 2009

The Lion Finally Rests:Edward Kennedy 1932-2009


The recent passing of Senator Edward Moore Kennedy symbolized the end of an era. Kennedy's passing not only ended the FDR style of liberalism, it ended the last practitioner of the art of gentlemanly politics. It is the art of politics I grew up with during my summer internship in the 1970's.
It was a golden time of the day, a day in which I saw other lions such as House Speaker Tip O'Neill ,future Speaker Jim Wright, and Senator John Tower. These are guys I regularly saw in the Congressional cafeteria, soaking up their stories and political intellect. Hopefully in the future I told them I would use what I learned. They all laughed and encouraged me. Today I am encouraging other young men, and wondering where did the years go. In tribute to Senator Kennedy and his legacy, I salute him and his years of public service ,and being kind to a young man from Texas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home