Friday, July 17, 2009

Walter Cronkite 1916-2009 "The way it is "


Walter Cronkite was one of the first people I remember from my television viewing youth. Yes, it is a strange thing to remember a news anchor. In Virginia, where I spent some of my childhood, my grandmother and myself watched the news before dinner. It was the 1960's,a different time. Most people trusted that the news was not managed, and that their news anchors were above reproach. Walter Cronkite was thought of at that time as the most trusted man in America. In fact LBJ said that when he lost Walter Cronkite,he lost popular support for the Viet Nam War. It was a time that didn't have 24 hour news cycles and al a carte news. Today a Walter Cronkite would not be possible ,or as influential. It was different time, a different era, and a different way of getting the news.
Today, Americans can decide what time, how much, and what content they will view the news by virtue of a computer or satellite offerings of the news stories.
In my grandmother’s day ,there was only one way to watch the news, it was Walter Cronkite on CBS,and as Walter said "and that's the way it is".
Walter Cronkite reports on JFK Assassination November 22 ,1963

Walter Cronkite on the King Assassination April 4,1968

Walter Cronkite on The Viet Nam War

Walter Cronkite on Landing on the Moon July 20,1969

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Anyone of my genre,will be hard pressed to remember what story Walter Cronkite didn't cover.From even the Nuremburg trials to the landing on the moon,Walter Cronkte was there.

July 18, 2009 at 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Billy said...

Well done Ed...I jumped on-board your blog today and subscribed...I will look forward to reading your work.

July 18, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home