Monday, May 9, 2011

Obama “The Unforgiveable Blackness “


We as Americans like to believe that we live in an enlightened society.A society in which in a short 150 years an African –American is in the White House as the president. Many pundits speculated after Obama's election that we could live in a post racial society.An American society in which color would no longer be a factor in politics and in the country as a whole.
W.E.B. Dubois, the renowned educator and philosopher in commenting on the first black heavyweight champion Jack Johnson , declared that he was guilty of ”unforgiveable blackness”. Likewise Obama is guilty of unforgiveable blackness. Guilty of being the first black in the neighborhood.Guilty to have to defend getting a Nobel Peace Prize, a prize that he did not campaign for. Guilty of “Unforgiveable Blackness” , something he did not ask for.



President Obama is much like the first black heavyweight champion, who also was guilty of “unforgiveable blackness”.Obama was guilty to prove that he was an American, despite the evidence that proves that he was born in Hawaii.Public documentation and also public notification in the local newspapers notwithstanding we had the ‘Birthers”.


I was amazed at some who said “I don’t believe it.I need to see a body “, and “I am tired of Obama saying he did it …. He didn’t kill Osama, the Navy Seals did it “.The fact is: Obama is the commander of chief ,he takes responsibility or fault for any military action that he orders.President Reagan likewise took credit for attacking Libya.

It happened on Obama’s watch and therefore he did indeed do it.It sort reminds me of the incantations of white racists who implored the fans of heavyweight champion Jack Johnson not to gloat ,”remember you have not down nothing at all” Years later descendants of those same racists say to Obama that he has not done nothing at all.


President Obama deserved to take his moment in the sun as a patriot ,who attacks terrorism much like Ronald Reagan.We as Americans have a proud tradition to uphold,a tradition that stands against tyranny.A tyranny that we still battle today is home grown racism;no Navy Seal can kill that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed-
Interesting topic. Do we live a post racial world? Hardly, and everyone in politics shares that blame. All you have to do is watch the Texas House debate HB 150 to know that Democrats think most Hispanics and African Americans wont vote for white people. They call it a "candidate of choice." I find it personally insulting, and so much every other American.
Its unfortunate, but many of the very laws that brought us out of 1960's racial area are holding us back today. We live in the city of Grand Prairie which is over 70% minority. However, because Caucasians aren't named as a possible protected class, I fear my kids may be subject to the same thing in the next generation yours was exposed to in the 1960s.
We are only going to get past the racial divide in America when we end laws like these. Don't get me wrong, they have very very important historical significance, but I think we have out grown them.

As the Dalia Lama said today, We need to look past our differences and celebrate what unites us.

May 9, 2011 at 8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Ed -
I am white and have not lived the black people's history, but I have lived with you and attempted with my child and his friends as well as my personal daily life to condemn the ignorance and stupidity wherever I have seen it... and I have seen it.

I have to say, this is not a one-sided fight. I understand the historic defensiveness, and the initial thought processes that people armor themselves with to prevent recurrences of previous abuses (please read this statement for all emotions, not just racism - physical/sexual abuse, financial abuses by family members, to burning your fingers on a stove).

George W. Bush was questioned incessantly in the media about his military record; Bill Clinton was harassed on many personal history moments. Politicians and folks setting themselves up as public figures have to suffer these invasions. When I apply for a passport, drivers license, and Social Security number, I am required to present my formal Birth Certificate.

Lately, the term "birthers" has been linked to a white racist agenda and I take exception to this. I feel that President Obama "created" a divisive atmosphere by not presenting the documentation I would have expected of anyone running for the office of President. You have to prove your residency when you file to run in Grand Prairie, didn't you? If this residency appeared to be a veil just to run in that district, someone would contest it would they not? That would not be a racist agenda, so why is this?

Again, I fully understand the historic cause for defensiveness, but it serves only to divide us if I am not allowed to speak to political issues because I am white. I know you and I don't have this problem with each other, but I feel unwelcome in many of these conversations even though this and any Presidency affects me, too.

I am proud that things have changed enough that a black man has finally been elected President of the US, but it is up to all of us to question whether he is doing the BEST for America, as with ANY President.

Questions of timing came up with Bill Clinton sending troops into Bosnia ("Wag the Dog") just when he was receiving the most pressure about his history. Likewise, when pressure is applied to our President, that is the moment we "find" and kill Bin Laden? I do not ask that question because President Obama is black, but because there is a history of politicians doing this sort of thing.

I hope this is received with honesty and love as it is that is how I intend it.

Glen P

May 10, 2011 at 5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home