Saturday, September 6, 2008

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys


My heroes have always been Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys that is . When I was a kid , one of the first Dallas Cowboys I met was Bob Hayes . It was 1967 and "Bullet" Bob Hayes was the reigning fastest man on the planet .I attended the school across the street from his house and it was routine for him to wave to us kids on our way home .
As a young man ,I idolized the original 88 , Drew Pearson , and cheered when he caught the "Hail Mary" pass from Roger Staubach. When Roger "the Dodger"retired , my devotion to the Dallas Cowboys did not. My high school year book contains a signed autographed picture of his successor Danny White .
Even in the lean years I cheered the Dallas Cowboys.I laughed during the torrid heat wave of 1980 when "Crazy Ray" Jones had an parka on as he whistled at commuters on Commerce Street while shivering during an 110 degree August day .Years later I mourned with the Jerry Jones family at the "Crazy Ray " memorial service, and shared my memories with the Jones family.I mourned in a different way the firing of Tom Landry , and welcomed Jimmy Johnson to the Dallas Cowboy family.I hoped he would return to us the glory days. I didn't have to wait long.
I had the pleasure of meeting all of the triplets on three occasions.I met Troy Aikman at a hospital ,met Emmitt Smith at a friends birthday party. Guess what ? Emmitt was a good dancer even back in the day. I talked to Michael Irvin about football and life.

I have gotten a little older , however my passion for football has not changed. I love football and Dallas Cowboy football in particular.I have done charity work with Larry Brown , discussed Machavelli with Calvin Hill.I have had the pleasure to know many of the Cowboys in other aspects of their live. A class act was Herschel Walker, who was always patient with the fans. Thank you Herschel , for allowing me time to share with your family at your book signing. There is obviously more to life than football ,but I want to thank all the Dallas Cowboys for providing joy in my life. From touring Valley Ranch with Robert Newhouse ,to talking about drug abuse with "Hollywood" Henderson, to telling Nate Newton that he had an imposter on MySpace , its a been quite a ride. It just leaves me to ask , "How about them Cowboys ? "

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a blog for the greatest team in history-49ers?

September 7, 2008 at 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in DC .I too like the Dallas Cowboys. My favorite was Tony Dorsett, I have never been a Redskin fan and believe me, most of my family love the Skins, but my brother John and I love those Cowboys.

September 7, 2008 at 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since great players were mentioned, let me add a few more names to the list. Fred Dean,Steve Young, Joe Montanna, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, O.J. Simpson, and Deion Sanders. And let's not forget coach Bill Walsh who invented the "West Coast Offense" that's used througout the NFL.

September 7, 2008 at 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope all is well, it was good to read your blog my friend. I know you've always been a true Cowboys fan.

September 8, 2008 at 9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to the new stadium opening in Arlington as I know it will give you and millions of others new memories of America's Team.

September 9, 2008 at 8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

r tapley needs to "put a sock in it" If you LOVE the 49ers sooo much why don't YOU start a "I love to ride on the 49ers jock" blog and you can espouse your misguided wonderment all day long, other than that you shouldn't make comment while grown folk are talking.

The Dallas Cowboys are the reason I watch the NFL. It is completely amazing to me how people either love or hate the 'Boys. As a frequent listener of sports radio in the metroplex, I've noticed that if you want to stir up callers to your show, make a comment about the Cowboys, good or bad, and the phone lines will light up. The Dallas Cowboys have altered the old saying of 3 things that you shouldn't talk about in polite company to; Politics, Religion and the Dallas Cowboys.

My Favorite Cowboys moment is Tony Dorsetts' 99 yard touchdown run. I was watching the game while finishing my homework, homework was more exciting as the Boys were losing, in a chance moment of hearing the crowd roar, I looked up from my work and saw that the Cowboys were backed up to the one yard line. Now, I was paying full attention to this predicament, Danny White handed off to Tony, who made his classic stutter step to freeze a defender who knew that he had him for a safety and he was off to the races...99 Yards, WOW!
I yelled and jumped with such excitement, that I had to redo the homework that I was now clutching and flinging wildly in my room. Even though they lost that game, I still don't care. I saw my favorite player, at the time; Make the GREATEST play I had ever seen.

Thanks for allowing me to share Ed.

September 14, 2008 at 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home